Frost MagevsShadow Priest
Debating whether to play a Shadow Priest or Frost Mage? Knowing which currently performs better DPS in PvE might help make a decision.
This page analyzes multiple simulations for both Shadow Priests and Frost Mages using profiles and settings intended to achieve their maximum DPS. Multiple sim environments are used to test how they perform in various conditions. Is one the AoE king? Does one scale better with gear upgrades? Is one more bursty, and more reliant on big cooldowns? Below analyzes the data to find the strengths of each.
Simulation results were created with SimulationCraft
Using game data from Patch 10.0.5 • WoW Dragonflight •
- Frost Mage
- Best boss DPS (in perfect settings)Frost Mage achieved 8.37% more maximum boss DPS than Shadow Priest when there was no movement or lag.
- Best AoE DPS (in perfect settings)Frost Mage achieved 1.2% more AoE DPS than Shadow Priest when there was no movement or lag.
- Best gear scalingFrost Mage scaled better with increased item-levels, single-target DPS benefited 16.29% more from 372 ilvl to 422 compared to Shadow Priests.
- Simplest GameplayFrost Mage has fewer damaging abilities which could indicate a simpler rotation.
- DPS less dependant on big cooldownsFrost Mage’s DPS is less bursty, meaning it had more consistent damage. With 29.38% less difference in lowest and peak DPS during a fight when compared to Shadow Priests.
- Shadow Priest
- Best boss DPS (in realistic settings)Shadow Priest achieved 4.56% more maximum boss DPS than Frost Mage when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Least affected by movement (single-target)Shadow Priest’s single-target DPS was -65.23% less affected by increased movement compared to Frost Mages.
While the above highlights the DPS advantages between Frost Mage and Shadow Priests, the DPS potential should not be the only factor in your decision. Ultimately, you should also consider the playstyle that you enjoy most while crushing it in Mythics+ and Raids!
More Spec Comparisons
- Frost Mage
- Frost vs Arcane
- Frost vs Fire
- Frost vs Affliction Warlock
- Frost vs Balance Druid
- Frost vs Demonology Warlock
- Frost vs Destruction Warlock
- Frost vs Devastation Evoker
- Frost vs Elemental Shaman
- Frost vs Shadow Priest