Destruction WarlockvsFrost Mage
Debating whether to play a Frost Mage or Destruction Warlock? Knowing which currently performs better DPS in PvE might help make a decision.
This page analyzes multiple simulations for both Frost Mages and Destruction Warlocks using profiles and settings intended to achieve their maximum DPS. Multiple sim environments are used to test how they perform in various conditions. Is one the AoE king? Does one scale better with gear upgrades? Is one more bursty, and more reliant on big cooldowns? Below analyzes the data to find the strengths of each.
Simulation results were created with SimulationCraft
Using game data from Patch 10.0 • WoW Dragonflight • Pre-patch
- Destruction Warlock
- Best boss DPS (in perfect settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 54.05% more maximum boss DPS than Frost Mage when there was no movement or lag.
- Best boss DPS (in realistic settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 52.82% more maximum boss DPS than Frost Mage when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Best AoE DPS (in perfect settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 32.21% more AoE DPS than Frost Mage when there was no movement or lag.
- Best gear scalingDestruction Warlock scaled better with increased item-levels, single-target DPS benefited 115.06% more from 282 ilvl to 308 compared to Frost Mages.
- Simplest GameplayDestruction Warlock has fewer damaging abilities which could indicate a simpler rotation.
- DPS less dependant on big cooldownsDestruction Warlock’s DPS is less bursty, meaning it had more consistent damage. With 14.96% less difference in lowest and peak DPS during a fight when compared to Frost Mages.
- Frost Mage
- Least affected by movement (single-target)Frost Mage’s single-target DPS was -77.81% less affected by increased movement compared to Destruction Warlocks.
While the above highlights the DPS advantages between Destruction Warlock and Frost Mages, the DPS potential should not be the only factor in your decision. Ultimately, you should also consider the playstyle that you enjoy most while crushing it in Mythics+ and Raids!
More Spec Comparisons
- Destruction Warlock
- Destruction vs Affliction
- Destruction vs Demonology
- Destruction vs Arcane Mage
- Destruction vs Balance Druid
- Destruction vs Elemental Shaman
- Destruction vs Fire Mage
- Destruction vs Frost Mage
- Destruction vs Shadow Priest