Arcane MagevsFire Mage
What’s the best spec for Mages, Fire or Arcane? Below breaks down their current DPS potential and compares the two.
This page analyzes multiple simulations for both Fire Mages and Arcane Mages using profiles and settings intended to achieve their maximum DPS. Multiple sim environments are used to test how they perform in various conditions. Is one the AoE king? Does one scale better with gear upgrades? Is one more bursty, and more reliant on big cooldowns? Below analyzes the data to find the strengths of each.
Simulation results were created with SimulationCraft
Using game data from Patch 9.2.5 • WoW Shadowlands • Season 4
- Arcane Mage
- Best AoE DPS (in perfect settings)Arcane Mage achieved 27.72% more AoE DPS than Fire Mage when there was no movement or lag.
- Fire Mage
- Best boss DPS (in perfect settings)Fire Mage achieved 4.88% more maximum boss DPS than Arcane Mage when there was no movement or lag.
- Best boss DPS (in realistic settings)Fire Mage achieved 13.56% more maximum boss DPS than Arcane Mage when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Best AoE DPS (in realistic settings)Fire Mage achieved 10.27% more maximum AoE DPS than Arcane Mage when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Least affected by movement (single-target)Fire Mage’s single-target DPS was -15.44% less affected by increased movement compared to Arcane Mages.
- Least affected by movement (AoE)Fire Mage’s AoE DPS was -19.28% less affected by increased movement compared to Arcane Mages.
- Best gear scalingFire Mage scaled better with increased item-levels, single-target DPS benefited 7.96% more from 282 ilvl to 308 compared to Arcane Mages.
- Simplest GameplayFire Mage has fewer damaging abilities which could indicate a simpler rotation.
- DPS less dependant on big cooldownsFire Mage’s DPS is less bursty, meaning it had more consistent damage. With 55.84% less difference in lowest and peak DPS during a fight when compared to Arcane Mages.
While the above highlights the DPS advantages between Arcane and Fire Mages, the DPS potential should not be the only factor in your decision. Ultimately, you should also consider the playstyle that you enjoy most while crushing it in Mythics+ and Raids!
More Spec Comparisons
- Arcane Mage
- Arcane vs Fire
- Arcane vs Frost
- Arcane vs Affliction Warlock
- Arcane vs Balance Druid
- Arcane vs Demonology Warlock
- Arcane vs Destruction Warlock
- Arcane vs Elemental Shaman
- Arcane vs Shadow Priest