Affliction WarlockvsDestruction Warlock
What’s the best spec for Warlocks, Destruction or Affliction? Below breaks down their current DPS potential and compares the two.
This page analyzes multiple simulations for both Destruction Warlocks and Affliction Warlocks using profiles and settings intended to achieve their maximum DPS. Multiple sim environments are used to test how they perform in various conditions. Is one the AoE king? Does one scale better with gear upgrades? Is one more bursty, and more reliant on big cooldowns? Below analyzes the data to find the strengths of each.
Simulation results were created with SimulationCraft
Using game data from Patch 9.2.5 • WoW Shadowlands • Season 4
- Affliction Warlock
- Best boss DPS (in perfect settings)Affliction Warlock achieved 0.89% more maximum boss DPS than Destruction Warlock when there was no movement or lag.
- Destruction Warlock
- Best boss DPS (in realistic settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 4.37% more maximum boss DPS than Affliction Warlock when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Best AoE DPS (in perfect settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 6.53% more AoE DPS than Affliction Warlock when there was no movement or lag.
- Best AoE DPS (in realistic settings)Destruction Warlock achieved 8.9% more maximum AoE DPS than Affliction Warlock when dealing with occasional movement, lag and crowd-control.
- Least affected by movement (single-target)Destruction Warlock’s single-target DPS was -51.13% less affected by increased movement compared to Affliction Warlocks.
- Least affected by movement (AoE)Destruction Warlock’s AoE DPS was -25.5% less affected by increased movement compared to Affliction Warlocks.
- Best gear scalingDestruction Warlock scaled better with increased item-levels, single-target DPS benefited 0.84% more from 282 ilvl to 308 compared to Affliction Warlocks.
- Simplest GameplayDestruction Warlock has fewer damaging abilities which could indicate a simpler rotation.
- DPS less dependant on big cooldownsDestruction Warlock’s DPS is less bursty, meaning it had more consistent damage. With 25.93% less difference in lowest and peak DPS during a fight when compared to Affliction Warlocks.
While the above highlights the DPS advantages between Affliction and Destruction Warlocks, the DPS potential should not be the only factor in your decision. Ultimately, you should also consider the playstyle that you enjoy most while crushing it in Mythics+ and Raids!
More Spec Comparisons
- Affliction Warlock
- Affliction vs Demonology
- Affliction vs Destruction
- Affliction vs Arcane Mage
- Affliction vs Balance Druid
- Affliction vs Elemental Shaman
- Affliction vs Fire Mage
- Affliction vs Frost Mage
- Affliction vs Shadow Priest