Protection Warrior PvE Tanking Rotation - 7.0.3
Below is our guide for prioritizing your Protection Warrior abilities optimally. This should help give you a basic understanding of what to do and what's most important to focus on. Keep in mind that simply following this (or any other) rotation guide will not guarantee you to be amazing at tanking. How aggressively you execute the rotation, how fast and intelligently you react in encounters, your FPS, latency, etc. play a large part in the end-result of your performance. We encourage you to really focus on those things and perfect this rotation if you're very performance-focused.
Single Target Rotation
Tanking Priority: Execute this priority to build Rage and threat.
- Shield Slam on every cooldown. Watch for Sword And Board procs.
- Revenge whenever available.
- Devastate as a filler ability and to proc Sword And Board.
- Intercept as often as possible, but only if safe to do so.
- Focused Rage to dump Rage when you want to boost damage done.
Active Mitigation: Consume Rage with these skills to mitigate damage.
- Shield Block as needed to reduce physical damage taken.
- Ignore Pain as needed to reduce incoming spike damage.
Spending Rage on Shield Block is your top priority when you have 2 charges. Otherwise, you can choose between Ignore Pain to dump your Rage and increase your survivability or on Focused Rage to boost your damage and threat.
- See single target priority.
- Thunder Clap on cooldown.
The Protection Warrior AoE rotation is fairly straight forward. Use Thunder Clap on cooldown and continue with your single target rotation while spreading your attacks among the targets as necessary to maintain threat on all enemies.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate in each encounter.
- Battle Cry Use as often as possible for additional damage.
- Demoralizing Shout Use proactively as a defense cooldown.
- Reflection Use proactively to prevent magic damage.
- Shield Wall Use proactively to prevent damage.
- Taunt Use to establish threat on targets not attacking you.
- Avatar Use on cooldown for burst damage and threat (if selected). Try to stack with Battle Cry.