Heal Rotation & Cooldowns for Restoration Shaman in PvE | Latest Patch 6.2.3
The following rotation guide was developed through extensive simulations and play testing with the goal of keeping the guide as simple as possible without sacrificing performance. This guide also included AoE rotations and provides details on when to use special talents and cooldowns.
Single Target Rotation
Buffs: Maintain these buffs at all times.
Healing Priority: Use this spell priority for single target healing.
- Earth Shield maintained on the target taking the most damage.
- Riptide placed on as many targets as possible. Provides Tidal Waves.
- Healing Wave used to heal moderate to high damage. Consumes Tidal Waves.
- Unleash Life combine with Healing Wave for a very large, efficient heal.
- Healing Surge is an emergency heal to save players facing death. Consumes Tidal Waves.
Restoration Shaman single target healing loosely follows the priority above. Maintain Earth Shield on the target taking the most damage and use Riptide as much as possible. Work your way down the priority list based on the amount of damage received by your target. Unleash Life should be used on cooldown and is best paired with Healing Wave for a big, efficient heal. Finally, consume Tidal Waves charges with Healing Wave or Healing Surge based on the amount of healing required and the time you have available to heal your target.
What are the best totems?: The most relevant totems to Restoration Shamans are all used as healing cooldowns and are discussed in the cooldown section of the this guide. However, you should keep Searing Totem up at all times for some additional DPS.
- Riptide maintained on as many targets as possible. Provides Tidal Waves.
- Chain Heal used to heal moderate to high damage. Provides Tidal Waves.
- Healing Rain used to heal heavy area damage.
For AoE healing, Riptide should be maintained on 3 more more targets at all times. Chain Heal should be used when 3 or more players need healing and you should try to cast Chain Heal on targets with Riptide or Earth Shield for additional healing. It is often quite effective to cast Chain Heal on the tank to heal the melee or any one else around.
Below is advice on how to use the performance-enhancing talents that were selected in this guide.
- Call of The Elements should be used to reset the cooldown of your utility totems. As Restoration, Call of The Elements is particularly helpful for resetting the cooldown on Healing Stream Totem.
- Ancestral Swiftness should be used to instant-cast a potent spell with a long cast time. As Restoration, the best use of Ancestral Swiftness is to instant-cast Healing Wave.
- Rushing Streams provides its benefit passively and does not require any changes to your rotation, except to remember to use Healing Stream Totem on cooldown to maximize the benefit from Rushing Streams.
- Primal Elementalist turns your Elemental totems into temporary pets with unique and powerful abilities. Most importantly, your Fire Elemental Totem gains Empower and your Earth Elemental Totem gains Reinforce. Always remember to instruct your Elemental pet to channel Reinforce or Empower on you, when the pets are available. As Restoration, Empower serves as a valuable healing cooldown.
- High Tide passively buffs your Chain Heal to bounce to additional targets and no longer diminishes in power with each bounce. Continue to use Chain Heal as normal and enjoy the enhanced effects.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.
- Ascendance Use for emergency raid healing with Healing Rain and Chain Heal.
- Bloodlust Epic group cooldown. Use as directed by your party/raid leader.
- Healing Stream Totem Use on cooldown for passive smart healing.
- Healing Tide Totem Use as needed for significant AoE healing.
- Spirit Link Totem Use for emergency group healing.
- Spiritwalkers Grace Use during periods of high movement to maintain healing.