DPS Rotation & Cooldowns for Subtlety Rogue in PvE | Latest Patch 6.2.3
Select a gear item level to improve the accuracy and relevancy of this guide.
The following rotation guide was developed through extensive simulations and play testing with the goal of keeping the guide as simple as possible without sacrificing performance. This guide also included AoE rotations and provides details on when to use special talents and cooldowns.
Single Target Rotation
Poison: Use the following poisons on your weapons.
Combo Point Builders: Follow this priority to generate Combo Points.
- Ambush is used whenever possible.
- Hemorrhage is maintained at all times. Refresh with <= 7 sec remaining.
- Backstab is used to build Combo Points.
Finishing Moves: Follow this priority to spend Combo Points.
- Slice And Dice is maintained at all times.
- Rupture is maintained with 5 CP and refreshed with <= 7 sec remaining. Applies Sanguinary Vein.
- Eviscerate is used to dump CP.
The Subtlety Rogue DPS rotation revolves around maintaining Slice And Dice and the DoTs from Hemorrhage and Rupture. To build Combo Points, you should use Ambush when possible and then use Hemorrhage as needed to maintain its DoT by refreshing Hemorrhage when it has <= 7 sec remaining. Backstab is your primary Combo Point builder and is used when you are unable to use Ambush and do not need to use Hemorrhage. To spend Combo Points, you should maintain Slice And Dice with 5 CPs at all times. After this, maintain the Rupture DoT with 5 CP refreshes and try to only refresh the DoT with <= 7 sec remaining. Finally, dump excess Combo Points with 5 CP Eviscerate.
At <= 3 targets, continue with the single target rotation but use Fan of Knives in the place of Backstab as your primary Combo Point generator. With 4+ targets, continue to use Fan of Knives to build Combo Points and begin to use 5 CP Crimson Tempest to dump Combo Points. Finally, continue to maintain Slice And Dice at all times.
Below is advice on how to use the performance-enhancing talents that were selected in this guide.
- Subterfuge allows you to squeeze in an additional Stealth-requiring ability at the start of a fight. As Subtlety, you should try to use a second Ambush.
- Anticipation mostly provides its benefits passively. The additional Combo Point storage does not change your rotation, except to make it easier and more forgiving. Remember to spend down your Combo Points when you reach 3+ Anticipation charges to prevent losing any additional Combo Points that you might generate.
- Shadow Reflection should be used just before you begin a burst DPS phase with your other major DPS cooldowns.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.