Shadow Priest PvE DPS Rotation - 7.1
Below is our guide for prioritizing your Shadow Priest abilities optimally. This should help give you a basic understanding of what to do and what's most important to focus on. Keep in mind that simply following this (or any other) rotation guide will not guarantee you to be amazing at DPS. How aggressively you execute the rotation, how fast and intelligently you react in encounters, your FPS, latency, etc. play a large part in the end-result of your performance. We encourage you to really focus on those things and perfect this rotation if you're very performance-focused.
Single Target Rotation
Shadowform Priority: Execute the following priority to build Insanity while in Shadowform.
- Void Eruption at 100 Insanity (70 Insanity if Legacy Of The Void is selected) to activate Voidform.
- Shadow Word Pain maintained at all times.
- Vampiric Touch maintained at all times.
- Mind Blast on cooldown to build Insanity.
- Mind Flay or Mind Spike (if selected) as a filler to build Insanity.
Voidform Priority: Execute the following priority after entering Voidform.
- Void Bolt on cooldown.
- Shadow Word Death whenever available.
- Mind Blast on cooldown.
- Mind Flay or Mind Spike (if selected) as a filler ability.
Shadow Priest DPS priority involves two phases. The first phase is executed in Shadowform to build 100 Insanity (70 Insanity if Legacy Of The Void is selected) so that you can enter Voidform for a burst damage phase.
Your AoE rotation is similar to the single target rotation, but with the following changes noted above. Also, with <= 3 targets, maintain your Shadow Word Pain and Vampiric Touch on all targets. At 4+ targets, only maintain Shadow Word Pain if Auspicious Spirits or Shadowy Insight is selected, otherwise focus on Vampiric Touch.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate in each encounter.