DPS Rotation & Cooldowns (5.4)
Maintaining a proper Rotation and using the right Cooldowns is essential to maximizing your Shadow Priest. Use this guide to optimize your single target and AoE rotations while learning how to get the most out of your cooldowns.
Single Target Rotation
Buffs: Maintain these buffs at all times.
DPS Priority: Execute the following priority for optimal DPS.
- Devouring Plague with 3 Shadow Orbs.
- Mind Blast on cooldown. Generates Shadow Orbs.
- Shadow Word Death when target is below 20% health. Generates Shadow Orbs.
- Mind Flay with Devouring Plague on the target.
- Shadow Word Pain Maintain at all times.
- Vampiric Touch Maintain at all times.
- Halo on cooldown.
- Mind Flay as a filler spell.
Shadow Priest DPS involves the proper management of Shadow Orbs and the use of Devouring Plague. The top priority is to cast Devouring Plague with 3 Shadow Orbs. From here, use Mind Blast on cooldown and Shadow Word Death as available to generate Shadow Orbs. While Devouring Plague is on the target, you should spam Mind Flay to benefit from Solace And Insanity. Always maintain Shadow Word Pain and Vampiric Touch on your targets. Finally, use Halo on cooldown while using Mind Flay as a filler spell.
With <= 4 targets, apply Shadow Word Pain and Vampiric Touch to all targets and continue with the single target rotation but use Mind Sear as a filler instead of Mind Flay. With 5+ targets, simply channel Mind Sear on one of the targets (or the tank if they're in range of the mobs).
These effective cooldowns are available if you chose them in your talent build.
- Halo Use as directed in the single target DPS section.
- Power Infusion Use on cooldown for burst damage.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.