DPS Rotation & Cooldowns (5.4.7)
Maintaining a proper Rotation and using the right Cooldowns is essential to maximizing your Windwalker Monk. Use this guide to optimize your single target and AoE rotations while learning how to get the most out of your cooldowns.
Single Target Rotation
Buffs: Maintain these buffs at all times.
Chi Builders: Follow this priority to generate Chi when Chi <= 3.
- Expel Harm when you are below 80% health.
- Jab as default Chi builder.
Chi Finishers: Follow this priority to spend Chi.
- Tiger Palm to maintain Tiger Power.
- Blackout Kick with Combo Breaker Blackout Kick procs.
- Rising Sun Kick on cooldown. Applies Mortal Wounds.
- Fists of Fury at low Energy (<= 30).
- Tiger Palm with Combo Breaker Tiger Palm procs.
- Chi Wave with moderate Energy (>= 60).
- Blackout Kick to dump excess Chi.
The Windwalker Monk DPS priority involves building and spending Chi. First, you only want to use Chi builders when you have <= 3 Chi. If you have >= 4 Chi, use a Chi spender first before building more Chi. To build Chi, use Expel Harm when not at full health and then use Jab as your go-to Chi builder.
The two most important uses for Chi are to cast Rising Sun Kick on cooldown and maintain the Tiger Power buff applied by Tiger Palm. Use Fists of Fury when you are at low Energy (<= 30) and only when Tiger Power will not drop. Watch for procs from Combo Breaker procs and use them on Blackout Kick and Tiger Palm. Finally, use Blackout Kick to dump excess Chi.
With <= 4 enemies, continue with the single target rotation on one of the targets. At >= 4 enemies, use Rising Sun Kick to maintain to 15% damage boost and spam Spinning Crane Kick.
These effective cooldowns are available if you chose them in your talent build.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.