UI Customization (2.5)
The default UI gets the job done for the average player, but not for top performers. In order to perform at your best, you need to quickly and accurately understand all of the information on your screen so that you can know what is going on and react quickly.
Star Wars: The Old Republic provides a built-in UI customization tool that allows you to do a few things.
- Move and resize every part of the UI.
- Save different UI layouts so you can quickly switch between different styles. For example, you can quickly swap between UI layouts designed for flashpoints and operations or between different roles like healing and DPS.
- Export and import layouts so you can share good layouts with others or take their layouts and make them your own.
Designing a layout is no simple task. It will take time and practice to tweak your layout into an effective tool. Remember to give a new layout some time before you make changes. If you are used to the standard UI, it can take a while before you feel comfortable with a new layout.
- Centralize the UI elements that are the most important to your role. Healers often centralize operation frames so that all player health bars are centrally and clearly visible. DPS and tanks may find it helpful to centralize their buffs/debuffs and boss buffs/debuffs.
- Reduce the size of unimportant UI elements to the smallest size possible that remains usable for you. A smaller UI makes it easier to see all the action going on in a fight. You do not want to miss a growing puddle of plasma at your feet because it is hidden behind your ability icons.
- Increase the size of important UI elements to make them quickly visible. Buffs and debuffs are great candidates for increased size as it is often critical to track their duration, stack, etc.
- Maintain multiple layouts each designed for different roles, fights, environments, etc. SWTOR makes it very easy to switch UI layouts and you should take advantage of this by making several layouts that maximize your UI in different ways.
Recommended UI Layouts
If you would like to start with a solid layout and then make your own tweaks, then please consider trying out one of the following recommended UI layouts that you can import directly into SWTOR.